Build your best costume and make Dallas your stage! Enter the Famous Monsters Cosplay Craftmanship Contest for the chance to win prizes and the public’s admiration.
The First Place Winner will win a trip to California!
The Famous Monsters (a division of Cosmic-Con) Craftmanship Contest participation is restricted to contestants who complete the online registration. Online registration is on a first-come, first-served basis and is limited to 50 entries. Due to the nature of the Prize, no minor (under the age of 21) will be eligible for first place. Once the allowed number of entries has been reached, the remaining entrants will be placed on a Standby list and notified if and when a spot opens up.
Registration only reserves a spot in the contest. Contestants are still required to check-in at the Contest Registration Booth on the day of the event.
Required information for each participant:
- Legal Name
- Professional Name (optional)
- Contact Information
- Reference Material: photos, written descriptor if a literary or original character, other relevant information including variant or mash up
The following criteria must be met to avoid disqualification:
- Costumes must not have won an award at a previous Convention.
- The Convention reserves the right to disallow any contestants on basis of appropriateness of costume – please remember that the Convention is a family friendly event. The Cosplay Director has the final say on all entries.
- Any prop or weapon must have passed inspection and be approved by the Weapons and Prop Compliance Team prior to the Contest. The Convention retains the right to disallow any prop for any reason.
- Contestants are allowed to bring props within reason. Entrants must leave the stage as clean as it was when they first walked on it. Glitter, confetti, silly string, etc. will not be allowed on stage.
- Absolutely no flame or pyrotechnical props are permitted due to fire regulations. The Convention’s primary concern is public safety.
- The Convention cannot accept lighting requests e.g. turning the lights off or down.
- Ensure that all stage material is appropriate for all audiences. Contestants performing material of an inappropriate sexual, violent, or political nature, or promoting hatred against any groups, will be immediately disqualified and may have their Convention badges revoked.
To ensure fairness to all Contestants, entrants will be split into skill divisions.* Please ensure that you select the appropriate category to compete in. Group entries will not be applicable due to the nature of the prizes. The Cosplay Director and the judges retain the right to bump a contestant into a higher category if they feel a costume deserves to be recognized at a higher skill level.
Novice – professional costumers** may not enter the Novice division
*Accompanying prize will be 3rd place
- Entrants 14 years of age or older
- Costumer who has never entered a contest
- Costumer who has NOT won an award in any costume competition at the adult level
Journeyman – professional costumers** may not enter the Journeyman division
*Accompanying prize will be 2nd place
- Entrants 14 years of age or older
- Costumer who has won one (1) but less than three (3) awards in adult competition such as: Best Costume, Best Skit, Best Workmanship, First Place, etc.
- Costumer who has NOT won a “Best in Show” or “Best in Class” award at the Journeyman level
- Costumer who has NOT won any kind of award at the Master level, including Runner Up or Honorable Mention prizes
- Any Novice who wishes to compete as a Journeyman
Master – for advanced costumers and professionals** in the costuming field
*Accompanying prize will be 1st place
- Entrants 21 years of age or older
- Costumers who have won three (3) or more awards in adult competition
- Costumers who have won a “Best in Show” or “Best in Class” award at the Journeyman Level
- Costumers who have won ANY kind of award at the Master level
- Any costumer regardless of experience or past awards who wishes to compete as a Master
* The Convention reserves the right to combine or split skill divisions as required for any reason and without notice to meet the needs of the competition.
** A Professional Costumer is defined as any individual who is hired for pay on a part-time or fulltime basis to create costumes for any kind of studio or theatrical organization, OR who obtains more than 25% of their yearly income through commissioned costumes for other individuals.
Check-in at the Convention is mandatory to confirm your participation. Check-in times and location will be emailed to all registered participants prior to the Contest.
- Check-in must be concluded within the assigned time frame
- You do not have to be in costume in order to check-in
- Contestant appearance orders will be confirmed at this time
- You will be assigned a time to appear for pre-judging in front of the panel of judges. Contestants are encouraged to arrive 15 minutes before their scheduled judging time slot.
Entrants on the Standby List are given an opportunity to secure a spot in the contest upon conclusion of checking in the registered competitors. Available spots will be determined by the number of registered contestants who completed their check-in.
THE CRAFTMANSHIP JUDGING
Craftsmanship is an award for registered Contestants who have made 80% or more of their costume.
Contestants who are on the standby list are eligible to participate only if they become confirmed entrants prior to or on the day of the competition.
Each Contestant will have a 3 minute time limit with the judges, please prepare accordingly.
Competitors must be in full costume at the time of judging.
The Craftsmanship Award is based on the following criteria:
Fabrication: Clean edges, paint job, seam work, construction and durability, attention to detail, innovative construction methods. Props and accessories included.
Materials: Fabrics, leathers, etc. are believable to the costume, innovative use of unconventional materials, functionality of the design, and execution of simulated materials.
Fit and Presentation: Tailored and scaled to the cosplayer, complete character (make up, wigs, and prosthetics), and overall presentation of the character.
Adaptation: Accuracy to the reference material (photos, drawings, or literary descriptors, references to variants, mash ups, etc.), original designs will be judged on the believability of the costume based on the character described in the reference material.
All Contestants are required to appear on stage. Contestants will be lined up as per their assigned order determined at check-in. Each individual entry will have a maximum of 60 seconds of stage time. Should entrants go over the time limit, they will run the risk of being abruptly cut short by the organizers and possible disqualification from the contest.
Only registered entrants are allowed in the staging area. Please be aware that this means friends, children not participating in the contest, and animals (with the exception of certified service animals) are not to accompany entrants. Costumes must allow freedom of movement to navigate stairs. Please notify the Contest Director when you register if you require an assistant for larger costumes.
There are no change areas available for entrants. Contestants are to arrive at in costume. Please, no sewing, gluing, spray painting, soldering, or welding in the contest area.
What to expect on stage:
- The emcee will read the submitted introduction as each contestant approaches the stage.
- The Convention will provide an epic soundtrack for the walk on performances.
- Contestants, be prepared to field a question from the Judges about your costume or character.
- There are microphones available to answer the Judge’s questions.
THE CONTEST JUDGING
Contestants will appear on stage in front of a panel of judges who will be scoring each entry on the following criteria:
Costume: complete head to toe character, fit and scale, accuracy to the source material or believability as an original creation, overall visual impact, creativity and originality of the costume
Presentation: appearing in character, stage presence, overall preparation
Audience Impact: fun factor, audience response (we understand that not everyone is an actor, often a good pose is sometimes enough to “sell” the character)
The Convention has 3 Awards:
1st – A Trip to California to attend Famous Monsters Halloween Bash Convention. Includes airfare and hotel.*
2nd – Photography session of the winning costume to include 1 set of edits.*
3rd – Gift card.*
Each Judge participating in the contest will select a Judges Choice Award.
*Restrictions apply. See Award Restrictions.
THE FINE PRINT
The Costume Contest director or representative of the Convention both have full authority to eliminate anyone from the competition on the grounds of unsportsmanlike conduct witnessed backstage, violation of the rules, or any other reason deemed sufficient. There is no appeal. Arguing with the Director or representative may result in further action taken, such as a lifetime ban on participating in any future Convention Costume Contests.
Contestants are expected to obey all local, provincial and federal laws and bylaws governing the Convention and the venue location. Those who do not comply will be removed from the premises and their badge will be revoked without prior warning. If the nature of the infraction is severe, the proper authorities will be contacted.
By entering any Cosmic-Con® produced Contest, Contestants agree to allow Cosmic-Con®, its affiliates, licensors, licensees, or assignees, the right to use Contestants’ image and/or likeness and Contestants’ work that has been submitted to the contest (the “Work”) by media now known or hereafter devised for advertising and/or other promotional and commercial purposes.
Contestants also agree that the Work shall be original and shall be the sole creation of the Contestant and that they have full legal rights to enter the Work without permission or clearance from any third party. Contestants also agree the Work shall have not been entered in any past contests nor used for any commercial purposes.
By entering any Cosmic-Con® produced contest, Contestants agree to not sell, trade, the Work until after the contest end date. If you have violated this policy, Cosmic-Con® has the right to disqualify and remove Contestants and the Work from the contest and the Event.
First prize Winner receives one hotel room checking-in Friday, October 27, 2017, and checking out Sunday, October 29, 2017 during the Famous Monsters Halloween Bash and one round trip economy airfare from a Dallas area airport to a San Francisco/San Jose airport. Airline tickets shall be chosen and booked by and at the discretion of Cosmic-Con. If Winner wishes to make modifications to the reservation, Winner may do so, so long as reasonable options are available and by reimbursing the difference in cost to Cosmic-Con.
Second Prize Winner will receive a photo session with a photographer of Cosmic-Con’s choice.
Winners acknowledge and agree that there is no monetary or declared value to any of the prizes. If prizes are unclaimed, expired, unused, lost or stolen, Cosmic-Con shall have no obligation to reimburse, reschedule, refund or exchange any prize in whole or part to the Winner. Winners must respond within a 48-hour period for any scheduling. If Winners fail to respond or cooperate with Cosmic-Con in the distribution of prizes, then Winners shall forfeit their prizes.
©2017 Cosmic-Con, LLC. All rights reserved.