Immortalize your fan art by entering the
FAMOUS MONSTERS ART CONTEST
Famous Monsters of Filmland first took the world by storm with its colorful (and oft-mimicked) painted covers, rendered by the likes of Basil Gogos, Sanjulian, and Ken Kelly; and the brand has been married to artistic expression ever since. Now, Cosmic-Con is offering monster kids the chance to show off their chops and be featured in the Famous Monsters Annual Fearbook!
Both 2D and 3D mediums are accepted! From sketches to acrylic paintings to clay sculptures, anything goes if it falls within the four categories below.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: May 15, 2017 11:59PM CDT
Online registration will require the following information to qualify for competition:
- Email Address:
- First Name:
- Last Name:
- Category of Competition Selected
- Artwork Dimensions
- Additional Information: Written descripton of your work, and any other relevant information regarding your art piece, and any reference materials that served as your inspiration
CATEGORIES OF COMPETITION
HORROR – Movie monsters or villains from the beginning of cinema to the frights of the modern silver screen. Examples: THE MUMMY, FRIDAY THE 13TH, SINISTER, THE RING.
SCI-FI – Anything from intergalactic aliens to time-traveling killer robots. Examples: FORBIDDEN PLANET, STAR TREK, GODZILLA, TERMINATOR.
FANTASY – Inspiration can come from all things dragon-like, magical, elfin, or medieval. Examples: THE PRINCESS BRIDE, LORD OF THE RINGS, GAME OF THRONES, HARRY POTTER.
LANDSCAPE – Scenery encompassing any and all of the above genres.
Important Guidelines to Follow:
Your entry must meet the following guidelines in order to be considered for competition:
- 2D art pieces must be within 11x17 inches to 24x36 inches.
- 3D pieces must be from 6x4x4 inches to 36x12x12 inches.
- You must submit Preview Images of your entry to contest [at] famousmonsters.com. Preview images should be no larger than 1080x1080 pixels at 72dpi. Note: The quality of the images submitted will also play a role in the judging process. It is best if the images submitted are no smaller than 600px on the shortest side.
- You, or a representative selected by you, must bring the original artwork to the Famous Monsters Convention in Dallas to be considered for prizes. Artwork will be displayed at the event for our judging panel to review for competition.
- Age Requirement: This online Juried Art Competition is open to all artists 18 years of age or older.
- The Work Must Be Original: No artwork needs to be shipped. You must be the creator of the art you submit to the competition. Your art must be your own original concept and not a copy of anyone else’s copyrighted material. (If your image infringes upon another’s copyright it will be disqualified.) Upon submitting your work, to this competition, you are solely responsible for any infringement on copyrighted materials.
- Entry Fees: Entry is free. If accepted you will receive a complimentary weekend pass to the Famous Monsters Convention where selection of category winners will be held.
- Multiple Entries: ONLY ONE ENTRY PER PERSON IS PERMITTED. We will NOT be accepting multiple entries to one or more categories.
- File Sizes and Formats: Your images are best represented at 1080px on the longest side and at a resolution of 72dpi. The acceptable file formats are: jpg, gif, and png.
- Your Work Must Be Present: You are responsible for bringing your Original Work to the Famous Monsters Convention at the Sheraton Dallas Hotel & Convention Center to qualify for judging. Your Artwork will be displayed at the event for our judging panel to review.
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING
- Does the submitted artwork fit the theme of the competition?
- Is there a creative interpretation of the subject/theme?
- Is the originality of the work interesting?
- Is there overall quality and command of the medium being used?
- Does the work impact the viewer in relationship to the theme?
- Does the work stand on its own as a complete and outstanding creative image?
The composition and design of the work is also a judging criteria.
Note: The quality of the images submitted will also play a role in the judging process. It is best if the images submitted are no smaller than 600px on the shortest side.
Winners and runner-ups will be featured in the Famous Monsters of Filmland Annual Magazine, to hit newsstands this October.
- 1st Place winners in all categories will receive a $500 gift certificate to the Captain Company online store, the official one-stop shop for all things Famous Monsters.
- Runner-ups will receive FM Con Swag Bags.
Winners must respond within a 48-hour period for any scheduling. If Winners fail to respond or cooperate with Cosmic-Con in the distribution of prizes, then Winners shall forfeit their prizes.
Winners acknowledge and agree that there is no monetary or declared value to any of the prizes. If prizes are unclaimed, expired, unused, lost or stolen, Cosmic-Con shall have no obligation to reimburse, reschedule, refund or exchange any prize in whole or part to the Winner.
THE FINE PRINT
We reserve the right to request proof that your entry is your original artwork created solely by you. By entering the contest, Contestants guarantee that the submitted work is original and free from third party claims. Non-compliance to this rule will result in disqualification of your entry. While the show has 24-hour security during the event, Contestants shall release Cosmic-Con, its officers, employees, assigns and affiliates from any and all liabilities related to damage, theft or vandalism of Contestants’ original work on display.
Title of Property:
Artist acknowledges (1) that Artist has prepared the WORK for use as a contribution to a collective work, (2) Winners will agree to expressly and irrevocably assign to Company forever the original art and the right to exploit the Work.
Artworks may be submitted up until May 15, 2017 11:59pm CDT. No submissions will be accepted past the posted deadline.
The Contest Director or representative of the Convention both have full authority to eliminate anyone from the competition on the grounds of unsportsmanlike conduct, violation of the rules, or any other reason deemed sufficient. There is no appeal. Arguing with the Director or representative may result in further action taken, such as a lifetime ban on participating in any future Convention Contests.
Contestants are expected to obey all local, provincial and federal laws and bylaws governing the Convention and the venue location. Those who do not comply will be removed from the premises and their badge will be revoked without prior warning. If the nature of the infraction is severe, the proper authorities will be contacted.
By entering any Cosmic-Con® produced Contest, Contestants agree to allow Cosmic-Con®, its affiliates, licensors, licensees, or assignees, the right to use Contestants’ image and/or likeness and Contestants’ work that has been submitted to the contest (the “Work”) by media now known or hereafter devised for advertising and/or other promotional and commercial purposes.
Contestants also agree that the Work shall be original and shall be the sole creation of the Contestant and that they have full legal rights to enter the Work without permission or clearance from any third party. Contestants also agree the Work shall have not been entered in any past contests nor used for any commercial purposes.
By entering any Cosmic-Con® produced contest, Contestants agree to not sell, trade, the Work until after the Contest End Date, May 29, 2017. If you have violated this policy, Cosmic-Con® has the right to disqualify and remove Contestants and the Work from the Contest and the Event.
Winners acknowledge and agree that there is no monetary or declared value to any of the prizes. If prizes are unclaimed, expired, unused, lost or stolen, Cosmic-Con shall have no obligation to reimburse, reschedule, refund or exchange any prize in whole or part to the Winner. Winners must respond within a 48-hour period via written email communication. If Winners fail to respond or cooperate with Cosmic-Con in the distribution of prizes, then Winners shall forfeit their prizes.
©2017 Cosmic-Con, LLC. All rights reserved.